Fort Yukon is located on the Porcupine River, east of its junction with the Yukon River, about 145 air miles northeast of Fairbanks. Fort Yukon was founded in 1847 by Alexander Murray as a Canadian outpost in Russian Territory. It became an important trade center for the Gwich’in Indians, who inhabited the vast lowlands of […]
Brevig Mission is located at the mouth of Shelman Creek on Port Clarence, 5 miles northwest of Teller and 65 miles northwest of Nome. The Kauwerak Eskimos in this area lived in migratory communities in pursuit of hunting and fishing grounds, and traded furs with Siberia, Little Diomede and King Island. They formed alliances with […]
New Stuyahok is located on the Nushagak River, about 12 miles upriver from Ekwok and 52 miles northeast of Dillingham. The village has been constructed at two elevations — one 25 feet above river level, and one about 40 feet above river level. The present location is the third site that villagers can remember. The […]
Cohoe is located on the Kenai Peninsula on the Kasilof River, 13 miles south of the City of Kenai on the Sterling Highway. Victor Holm constructed a cabin in Cohoe in 1890. Holm sailed from Finland to Alaska to make his home. The cabin and many of Holm’s handmade items still remain; the cabin is […]
Healy lies at the mouth of Healy Creek on the Nenana River, 78 miles southwest of Fairbanks. It is located on a spur road, just north of the entrance to the Denali National Park and Preserve on the George Parks Highway. Healy was developed by the Usibelli Coal Mine in 1918, and has grown to […]
Port Alice lies on an island west of Prince of Wales Island, in the Alexander Archipelago. The site was developed as a logging camp.
Ekuk is located on the east coast of Nushagak Bay, 17 miles south of Dillingham. It is spread out for about 2 miles along a narrow gravel spit that extends from the Ekuk Bluffs in the shape of a hook. The word Ekuk means “the last village down,” reflecting that Ekuk is the farthest village […]
Womens Bay is on the west coast of Kodiak Island, 8 miles south of Kodiak. Originally inhabited by homesteaders, the property in this area has been transferred to the State, then to the Kodiak Island Borough. The community was named for the Bay it overlooks.
Kongiganak is located on the west shore of Kuskokwim Bay, west of the mouth of the Kuskokwim River. It lies 70 miles southwest of Bethel and 451 miles west of Anchorage. The area has been occupied historically by Yupik Eskimos. The village was permanently settled in the late 1960s by former residents of Kwigillingok, who […]
Barrow, the northernmost community in North America, is located on the Chukchi Sea coast, 10 miles south of Point Barrow from which it takes its name. It lies 725 air miles from Anchorage. Archaeological sites in the area indicate habitation from 500 to 900 A.D. Inupiat traditionally depend on subsistence marine mammal hunting, supplemented by […]
Klawock is located on the west coast of Prince of Wales Island across from Klawock Island. It is 7 miles north of Craig, 24 miles from Hollis, and 56 air miles west of Ketchikan. Early inhabitants were from Tukekan, a Tlingit winter village to the north. Klawock was used as a summer fishing camp, and […]